As far as history goes, humans tend to have multiple partners. But as per societal norms, a man and a woman have been made a mandate to have one partner. Is it too difficult for our complex brains to contemplate living with one partner forever? If not, then what makes people cheat? Here comes Gleeden, with the top 10 reasons for Infidelity, based on a survey conducted among 10k of their users. The users are based out of the Tier -1 cities in India like Mumbai, Delhi NCR, Chennai, Kolkata, Hyderabad Bengaluru, and Pune, falling between the 35-45 age bracket.
Shedding some light on the scenario Ms. Sybil Shiddell, Country Manager India says, “Infidelity is considered as a taboo worldwide but there are many aspects to it. Cheating or the will to cheat is not the only reason why people get involved into extramarital affairs, incidents like negligence, domestic violence, loneliness etc are few of the many reasons that build up to the cause”
“We at Gleeden have always aspired to build a community that has mutual respect amongst each other and for the problems faced in their marriages. Such an environment allows people to open up and look out for feasible partners for themselves” she further adds
1. Boredom – It is obvious to get bored of a relationship at some point. People look for changes after a certain time, experimenting with their likes. It is easy to get attracted to those who shake their daily routine by kicking them. Loneliness makes people go for someone besides your partner due to your understanding and coziness.
2. Communication gap – It is vital to have communication in any relationship, especially in marriage. No relationship is perfect but it can be made through communication. Sharing thoughts, listening to your partner, and making small changes can ignite the spark now and then. But with our busy lives, it becomes a headache to resolve these issues.
3. Dry Spell – Some people get lazy, tired, and exhausted. Partners are not always on the same page. When people don’t get their expectations fulfilled, they turn to the outside world. Not having a respectful conversation, discussing how they both feel about sex, and how life or relationship has hijacked their spark. Not meeting up the demands of your partner turns them down.
4. High-end expectations – It is in human nature to expect and get hurt when it doesn’t turn out their way. Thus, expectations of not getting attention, time, love, care, and intimacy from their partner can make the marriage’s tone fall. Although at times, people stop doing things for their partner due to their comfort zone which tends the other one to think not worthy of themselves.
5. Past Relationships – Many people on this planet have not yet discovered and understood, moving on. This makes them judge their current relationship and partner with their previous one, making them hurt themselves and not giving them a chance to understand and accept their current partner. And, people getting forcefully married also go back to their previous partners to whom they are attracted.
6. Newbie trends – In this fast pacing world, trends keep hopping up now and then. The hook-up culture is one of them and people follow it. Some do it because they are not happy in their marriage whereas some follow it just to be on top of the trend.
7. Mono/Polygamy – Couples having the same mindset over having more than one partner doesn’t call it cheating in the marriage. They accept that a person can fall in love with 2-3 people, calling it an open relationship. They have a level of understanding of each other and view their partner’s choice of having a relationship outside their marriage as natural. Nowadays, we see throuple living together in the same house accepting each other as family.
8. Domestic violence – Why would someone be in a relationship where there’s no respect. It is the base of any relationship. Whether physical or sexual, 8 out of 10 women experience domestic violence, crushing their self-esteem and hampering their mental and physical health. Who wants to be in a dead-end marriage? When they can’t take help from their own family and society’s judgments won’t let them take a divorce. Finding someone outside their marriage is a boon. They get a chance of looking at the world again with dreamy eyes.
9. Go with the flow – A cozy environment with high-on drinks can make people slip into someone else’s parts without even having thought over the consequences. Yes, it is easy to fall into this trap of minute sexual arousal leading the whole marriage foundation to derail. Most people experience it during their office trips, late-night stays, parties with old mates, etc.
10. Sexaholic – High on drinks? Nope, just horny. It might sound odd but people can get addicted to sex, after all, hormones are just chemical juices moving around. They are in a position where they perform sexual activities persistently, unable to control them. It is a compulsive behavior, watching porn, masturbating uncontrollably, and having multiple sexual partners. They can’t stop thinking about sex daily even when they get ashamed about their urges.