2 September 2023, Mumbai: In 2018, The Weeknd released “Call Out My Name,” a song that led to speculation about its connection to his relationship with Selena Gomez and her kidney transplant. While The Weeknd has not officially confirmed the song’s inspiration, its lyrics suggest a poignant narrative. Here’s a closer look at some key lyrics and their potential meaning:
1. “We found each other / I helped you out of a broken place / You gave me comfort / But falling for you was my mistake.”
– These lines appear to allude to The Weeknd and Selena Gomez’s relationship, which began in January 2017. Gomez had faced multiple health issues, including anxiety and depression. The song hints at The Weeknd offering support during her difficult times but also suggests regret for falling in love.
2. “I put you on top, I put you on top / I claimed you so proud and openly / And when times were rough, when times were rough / I made sure I held you close to me.”
– These lines convey The Weeknd’s devotion and pride in his relationship with Gomez. They also acknowledge his commitment to being there for her during challenging moments.
3. “I want you to stay, even though you don’t want me / Girl, why can’t you wait? (Why can’t you wait, baby?) / Girl, why can’t you wait ’til I fall out of love?”
– These lyrics express The Weeknd’s desire for Gomez to remain with him despite her apparent lack of interest. He questions why she can’t be patient and wait for his feelings to change.
4. “I said I didn’t feel nothing, baby, but I lied / I almost cut a piece of myself for your life.”
– This part of the song is particularly intriguing. The Weeknd admits to lying about his emotions and hints at a significant sacrifice: “I almost cut a piece of myself for your life.” This appears to reference the rumors that The Weeknd considered donating one of his kidneys to Gomez when she needed a transplant. While he may not have gone through with it, these lyrics suggest the depth of his commitment.
5. “Guess I was just another pit stop / ‘Til you made up your mind / You just wasted my time.”
– The Weeknd’s frustration is evident here. He implies that Gomez viewed their relationship as a temporary stop until she decided on her next move. The line “You just wasted my time” underscores his disappointment.
While The Weeknd has not confirmed the song’s specific inspiration, the lyrics strongly suggest a connection to his relationship with Selena Gomez. Their tumultuous romance, marked by highs and lows, seemed to play out through these poignant verses. Regardless of its origin, “Call Out My Name” remains a powerful and emotionally charged track in The Weeknd’s repertoire.
By Yashika Desai